As people age, our bodies naturally go through changes that can cause a decline in mobility and flexibility. However, staying active and incorporating stretching exercises into your daily routine can greatly improve your overall physical health and well-being. Stretching exercises for seniors are specially selected to enhance flexibility while considering common mobility issues.
At Buckner retirement communities, our residents enjoy an active lifestyle. With independent and assisted living communities as well as skilled nursing and memory care available, our tight-knit team provides opportunities for residents to stay physically active and healthy during their golden years. Learn more about leading an active lifestyle at Buckner Retirement Services today by calling 214.227.7182.
3 Stretching Exercises for Seniors to Help with Mobility
Staying active during retirement can help you stay healthy. Here are some stretching exercises for seniors that you can incorporate into your daily life.
1. Shoulder Rolls
Shoulder rolls are great for improving upper body mobility, which is important for everyday activities such as reaching for items and lifting objects. Here’s how to perform shoulder rolls:
- Sit or stand with your arms by your sides
- Slowly lift your shoulders upwards towards your ears
- Roll your shoulders backwards in a circular motion, then relax them back down
- Repeat in a forward circular motion
- Do 10 to 15 repetitions in each direction
Caution: If you have any shoulder injuries or pain, talk to your healthcare provider before attempting this exercise.
2. Quad Stretch
The quad stretch targets the muscles in the thighs, which are important for maintaining mobility and balance. Here’s how to perform the quad stretch:
- Stand facing a wall for support
- Bend your right knee and bring your foot up towards your buttocks
- Hold onto your ankle with your right hand
- Keep your left hand on the wall for balance
- Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds
- Lower your leg and repeat with the other leg
Caution: If you have any knee or hip injuries, talk to your healthcare provider before attempting this exercise.
3. Ankle Circles
Ankle circles help to improve lower body mobility, which is crucial for walking and balance. Here’s how to perform ankle circles:
- Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor
- Lift one foot off the floor and point your toes forward
- Slowly rotate your ankle in a circular motion, clockwise and then counterclockwise
- Repeat with the other foot
- Do 10 to 15 circles in each direction with each foot
Caution: If you have any ankle injuries or pain, talk to your healthcare provider before attempting this exercise.
Other Tips for Maintaining Mobility and Flexibility
In addition to these stretching exercises, there are other ways to maintain mobility and flexibility as you age:
- Incorporate moderate exercise into your daily routine, such as walking, swimming, or cycling
- Practice good posture to prevent muscle strain and improve balance
- Stay hydrated to keep joints lubricated and maintain flexibility
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients that support joint and muscle health, such as calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D
Adding healthy habits to your lifestyle will help you stay active and enjoy life as you age.
Live an Active Lifestyle at Buckner Retirement Services
Incorporating these stretching exercises into your daily routine can greatly improve mobility and overall physical health, allowing you to stay active and independent for longer. Remember to talk to your healthcare provider before starting any new exercise routine, especially if you have any existing injuries or health conditions. By taking care of your body, you can continue to enjoy the activities you love and maintain your quality of life in your golden years.
At Buckner, our team is dedicated to helping seniors live an active and healthy lifestyle. We provide a wide range of services that can help you stay physically active and healthy during retirement. Learn more about how we can help you lead an active life by contacting us today at 214.227.7182.