It is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed when searching for a senior living community. Thinking about how you want to live life in retirement can help guide your decision. For upscale senior independent living in Texas, reach out to Buckner Retirement Services at 855.931.5688. You will be pleased with the vast array of amenities offered at our beautiful senior living communities.
Three Things to Look For in an Independent Senior Living Community
1. The right type of independent senior living community
One of the most significant decisions when selecting a senior living community is which type of living situation to choose. Knowing that you want to maintain your independence is a good start, but you can narrow your search even further by considering the various independent living options. Some of your independent senior living choices include:
- Age-restricted communities – As the name suggests, these communities require that residents be a minimum age to reside there, usually 55 and up. Amenities may be minimal in these communities, making them one of the most affordable senior living options.
- Independent living communities – These communities are designed for seniors who do not require assistance with daily living tasks. Many of them are geared toward active seniors looking to live among their peers and enjoy various on-site amenities and services.
- Continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) – These senior communities offer all levels of care that seniors may need throughout their lives, from independent living to skilled nursing care and memory care. This option provides optimal flexibility since you can remain in the same community as your needs change over the years.
Among the senior living options, you may also find differences in the types of housing offered. Some communities consist of apartments or condominiums, while others are made up of private homes, either attached or detached.
2. The right location for your senior lifestyle
Most seniors who sell their family home to move to an independent living community often have a vision for how they would like to enjoy their retirement years. Some things to consider regarding the location of a senior living community are:
- Family – If you want to stay close to your family members, you need to search for nearby communities.
- Climate – Many seniors desire year-round warm, sunny weather, which can influence where you choose to move.
- Entertainment – Consider the activities you want to enjoy in retirement when choosing a senior living community location. If you enjoy theater, museums, golf courses, or travel, you will likely want to select a community close to these activities. For example, seniors who enjoy traveling may prefer to live close to an airport, and those who favor arts and culture may wish to live near a major city.
Location can be a major deciding factor when choosing a senior living community. It is a good idea to tour the communities you are interested in and spend some time exploring the surrounding area.
3. The right social scene for your personality
Your overall health and happiness depend on social connections. You do not have to be a social butterfly to enjoy retirement, but you need the right social interaction. Learn about the activities offered by each senior living community. If you are outgoing and like to spend time conversing with peers, you will want to look for group activities like:
- Organized sports
Even if you are introverted and prefer to engage in more solo activities, you can still get stimulation and social interaction with:
- Educational courses
- Field trips to museums or plays
- Arts and crafts
The key to getting the most enjoyment from a senior living community is choosing one that provides activities and social opportunities that align with your interests.
Enjoy the Good Life at a Buckner Retirement Services Senior Living Community in Texas
At Buckner Retirement Services, we know that you deserve the best for your well-deserved retirement years. We operate six luxurious senior communities throughout Texas, offering a full range of care levels, so you are sure to find a community that needs your needs. Reach out to us at 855.931.5688 to schedule a tour of our beautiful, upscale senior living communities.