Caring for an elderly loved one can be a full-time job, especially if someone is doing it on their own. The primary carer can not only feel worn out from having to attend to someone 24/7, but they may also have anxiety over the thought that their loved one will be left alone should anything happen to them. It is also possible for their senior loved one to be more independent but could not be left alone for extended periods of time. In most cases, enrolling in a respite care program may be the best solution for both the carer and their elderly charge.
At Buckner, we provide a wide variety of senior care programs, including short-term respite care. In our respite care programs, we can provide medical services, temporary housing, and even a range of activities and opportunities for socializing for seniors. If you believe that you and your loved one would benefit from a short-term respite care program, contact us at 214.227.7182 today to learn more about what we can offer.
What Is Respite Care?
Being a loved one’s primary caregiver can be exhausting, and it is not unusual for someone to feel burned out after providing round-the-clock care with no breaks. The signs of burnout can be:
- Headaches, fatigue, and low energy
- Problems sleeping
- Getting sick or ill easily
- Lack of motivation and trouble concentrating
- Depression, anxiety, mood swings, or other mental health issues
Most carers still feel a twinge of guilt when they start wanting time for themselves. Respite care can provide short-term relief with the assurance that loved ones will be left in good hands. Services can be availed for as short as an afternoon or as long as a few months. Respite care programs are flexible enough in order to provide what both the carer and their elderly loved one may need.
What Are the Benefits of Short-Term Respite Care?
Respite care can support carers who prefer to attend to their loved ones but cannot find time to take care of other matters or themselves. However, there are many other benefits to respite care, even if the primary caregiver has committed their schedule to full-time care. A few of them are:
- An opportunity for both the caregiver and their loved one to recharge – Both parties may benefit from a change of scenery, with the caregiver being able to spend time focusing on themselves, and their loved one can interact with other people and participate in new activities.
- Respite care can provide peace of mind during unexpected situations, like if the primary caregiver is called away on an urgent issue or if they are going through medical concerns of their own.
- Enrolling in a care program at a senior living facility can be a trial for joining a retirement community where their elderly loved one can be surrounded by peers and have easier access to services and amenities.
Regardless of the length of the program, respite care can give both caregivers and their loved ones a much-needed break that can allow them to return to their daily routine well-rested and rejuvenated.
Buckner Provides Short-Term Respite Care Facilities in Texas
Buckner provides top-quality respite care programs across Texas. Caregivers can be put at ease knowing that their loved ones are receiving quality care while they take a break from their duties. We provide fun activities specifically designed for older adults to ensure that their loved ones will not only have all their needs met but they will also have an enriching experience during their time with us. If you believe that our respite care program is the support you need, contact us at 214.227.7182 to schedule a tour of our community.