When your senior parent gets diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia, it is expected that their level of independence will gradually decrease, and they will require more care and support to help them in their daily lives. As their needs progress, there may not be any family members that can provide them with the level of care they need. Luckily, families can get quality memory care for seniors from a trusted senior living community in their area.
Buckner Retirement communities provide dementia care in Dallas, Texas. Our beautiful, luxurious communities provide a safe, comfortable place for your senior parents to maintain or even improve their quality of life. Our friendly, experienced staff are trained to assist in issues unique to seniors facing cognitive decline. If you are looking for memory care services for your senior parents, contact us at 855.931.5688 to schedule a tour.
What Is Memory Care for Seniors?
There are a lot of senior living communities available, but not all communities are designed the same way. A senior memory care program is a service that is catered specifically for older adults that are experiencing cognitive decline due to Alzheimer’s or dementia. Seniors with these illnesses often exhibit the following symptoms that may lead them to require a higher level of care:
- Inability to attend to personal hygiene
- Forgetting to take important medications
- Weight loss due to difficulties eating or even just forgetting to eat
- Problems communicating due to difficulty remembering the correct words, which can lead to frustration and anger
- Extreme mood swings or behavioral changes
- A tendency to wander or get lost, even in their own neighborhood
While people in the early stages of dementia are still able to live life independently, there are still some benefits to moving into a senior community that can provide specialized care and services that can help deter their cognitive decline.
What to Look for in Dementia Care for Senior Parents
Transitioning into a senior living community may be a difficult decision to make for the family. However, when a senior parent is struggling with Alzheimer’s or dementia, it may be in their best interest to move into a community that can guarantee their safety and security and can provide round-the-clock care.
When looking for dementia care for your elderly loved ones, it is important to keep these key points in mind:
- Can the facility provide the increasing level of care that your parent may need as their disease gradually progresses? Finding a location that has the full continuum of care can provide peace of mind in knowing that they can give the proper amount of care as the resident’s condition changes. These facilities can also address unexpected accidents or illnesses.
- Are the staff trained to care for seniors undergoing cognitive decline? Caretakers should be able to provide effective and compassionate care to seniors with Alzheimer’s and dementia who may be experiencing anger or frustration due to the changes they are going through.
- Do they provide recreational and social activities so that your parent can interact with others and enjoy their time? It is important for senior adults to still live full, vibrant lives regardless of their cognitive state.
- Is the facility in a convenient location that can allow family and friends to visit? Frequent visits can help boost a senior’s mood and can prevent loneliness and depression.
Start Dementia Care in Dallas, Texas, with Buckner Retirement Services
At Buckner, we are committed to providing full-time care to keep our residents healthy and safe. We strive to help senior adults live full, meaningful lives at any age or level of cognitive ability. Having a parent with Alzheimer’s or dementia is never an easy situation. Let us help support you on your journey with our quality memory care services. Contact us at 855.931.5688 to learn more about your options for dementia care in Dallas, Texas.